The restored bakehouse is one of the oldest remaining buildings on Angel Island. It was built in the late 1800’s and was used to bake bread for the civil war soldiers stationed at Camp Reynolds on the west side of the island. Bread was part of a soldier’s pay so the bakehouse was one of the first buildings completed at the camp. Through generous donations and the hard work of Mary Noyes and her husband the bakehouse was restored and can be toured on most summer days. Special tours can be booked through the state park to see bread baking demonstrations in the wood burning stove.